Jovica Jovanović, Svetlana Banić
Med Word 2020; 1(1): 19–22
The aim of this study is the analysis of medical selection of drivers and candidates for car drivers sent to preliminary, periodic or special medical examination in the last ten years period. At the preliminary medical examination 2.3% of candidates were declared to be incapable, 8.2% of candidates had a limited driving ability. At the periodic medical examination 12.2% of drivers were declared to be incapable to driving and 28.7% of drivers had a limited driving ability. At the special medical examination 37.3% of drivers were declared to be incapable for driving and 53.9% of drivers had a limited driving ability. In our opinion, medical selection of drivers and candidates for car drivers is a significant preventive measure of traffic trauma.
Key words: Occupational health medicine, health selection, drivers, prevention, traffic accidents
- Moafian G, Aghabeigi MR, Heydari ST, Hoseinzadeh A, Lankarani KB, Sarikhani Y. An epidemiologic survey of road traffic accidents in Iran: analysis of driver-related factors. Chin J Traumatol 2013; 16(3): 140–4.
- Classen S, Crizzle AM, Winter SM, Silver W, Eisenschenk S. Evidencebased review on epilepsy and driving. Epilepsy Behav 2012; 23(2): 103–12.
- Izadi N, Malek M, Aminian O, Saraei M. Medical risk factors of diabetes mellitus among professional drivers. J Diabetes Metab Disord 2013; 12(1): 23.
- Graveling AJ, Frier BM. Driving and diabetes: problems, licensing restrictions and recommendations for safe driving. Clin Diabetes Endocrinol 2015; 1: 8.
- Roth GA, Forouzanfar MH, Moran AE, Barber R, Nguyen G, Feigin VL, et al. Demographic and epidemiologic drivers of global cardiovascular mortality. N Engl J Med 2015; 372(14): 1333–41.
- Jovanović J, Batanjac J, Ilić B, Jovanović M. Ugrožena životna sredina, oštećeno zdravlje vozača i traumatizam kao posledica delovanja buke teretnih vozila, Naša ekološka istina, Zbornik radova, Kladovo, 1996; I-16: 465–8.
- Jovanović J, Batanjac J, Ilić B. The influence of chemical air pollution in camion cabin on health status of professional drivers, II International Conference on Environmental and Industrial Toxicology: Research and its Aplication, Bangcoc, 1996; 160: 12–13
- Szlyk JP, Seiple W, Viana M. Relative effects of age compromised vision on driving performance, Hum Factors, 1995; 37(2): 430–6.
- Pepple G, Adio A. Visual function of drivers and its relationship to road traffic accidents in Urban Africa. Springerplus 2014; 3: 47.