Medical Word 2022; 3(1): 26–28
History of medicine
Strahinja Babić, Aleksandra Marjanović, Gordana Stanković Babić, Nevena Babić, Rade R. Babić
Primarius Dr. Milun Mitrović (1901, Trnanje, Serbia – 1978, Niš, SFR Yugoslavia) was the first pediatric surgeon in Niš, and the fifth in Yugoslavia. He graduated from the Medical Faculty in Graz in 1928. He received the title of primarius in 1959. He won the award of the Liberation of the City of Niš for merits in the work and development of health care for the population of Niš (1960). He spoke German fluently. He worked in the Department of Pediatric Surgery at the Orthopedic Department of the General State Hospital in Belgrade until January 1, 1945, when he moved to the Surgical Department of the State Hospital in Niš, where on March 9, 1953. formed the Department of Pediatric Surgery and Orthopedics, which has two rooms and 16 beds and became the first head of this institution. The creative and visionary spirit of Primarius Dr. Milun Mitrović is reflected in the creation of the Institute for Bone and Joint Diseases of Children in Sokobanja (30 beds; October 20, 1959), the formation of the Department of Pediatric Surgery of the Serbian Medical Association (1966), the Association of Children’s surgeon of Yugoslavia, formulates the magazine “Children’s Surgery” (printed in Niš) and others. Primarius Dr. Milun Mitrović remained “remembered by the people of this region as a great expert, a great friend of children and a great bohemian” – according to the record of prof. Dr. Radoslav Živić in the book “Greats of Niš Medicine”.
Key words: Primarius Dr. Milun Mitrović, pediatric surgeon, Niš, Sokobanja, Serbia
- Enciklopedija Niša. Niš: Gradina; 1990.
- Leksikon gradiva Srbije. Niski leksikon. Beograd: JP Službeni glasnik i Grad Niš; 2011.
- Živić R. Velikani niške medicine. http://istorijanisa.wikidot.com/milun-mitrovic
- Živić R. Knjiga o bolnici. Niš: Prosveta; 2002.
- Lukač RR, Šćepanović D. Razvoj dečje hirurgije u Srbiji. http://www.sld.org.rs/decijahirurgija/istorija.html
- Babić RR, Stanković-Babić G, Strahinjić S. Zdravstvena zaštita stanovništva jugoistoka Srbije u periodu od 1878. do 2010. i bolesti stanovništva kroz vekove. U: Strahinjić S, urednik. Prilozi istoriji zdravstvene kulture Srbije. Niš: Galaksija; 2011: 86-102..
- Slavković A. Djordjević I. Dečja hirurška klinika Kliničkog centra Niš u zdravstvenoj zaštiti stanovništva jugoistoka Srbije 1960-2010. U: Strahinjić S, urednik. Prilozi istoriji zdravstvene kulture Srbije. Niš: Galaksija; 2011: 281-287.
- Kovačević VA. Istorijat razvoja urologije u Nišu. Nastajanje i razvoj Urološkog odeljenja i Urološke klinike. Niš: Petrograf; 2008.