Prolonging the life span has led to prolonging the menopause period, which for women brings a lot of essential changes in everyday functioning. Obtaining and recognizing health issues, together with improving quality of life, is a challenge itself to be faced not only by healthcare professionals but patients themselves. The challenge within the challenge is to help those women that iatrogenic enter menopause (disease, post-surgically, etc.). Hormonal substitution therapy should be verified, well chosen, efficient, and safe, taken under adequate supervision, and in consultation with other healthcare specialists. Its efficiency is considerably significant for women in the first decade into menopause. Hormonal therapy could be prescribed as oral, intravaginal, intrauterine, and transdermal therapy.
Key words: menopause, risks, hormone replacement therapy
- UCLA Obstetrics and Gynecology. Menopause, symtoms, treatments, diagnosis. Dostupno na: http://obgyn.ucla.edu/menopause, Preuzeto 28. septembra 2017.
- Hurd WW, Amesse LS, Randolph JF Jr. Menopause. In: Berek JS, ed. Novak’s Gynecology. 13th edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins 2002: 1143-97.
- Skaznik-Wikiel ME, Traub ML, Santoro N. Menopause. In: Jameson JL, De Groot LJ, de Krester DM, et al, eds. Endocrinology: Adult and Pediatric. 7th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2016: chap 135.
- Kurjak A. i suradnici. Ultrazvuk u ginekologiji i perinatologiji. Zagreb: Medicinska naklada; 2007. pp. 116-130.
- Gambacciani M, Monteleone P, Ciaponi M, Sacco A, Genazzani AR. Clinical usefulness of endometrial screening by ultrasound in asymptomatic postmenopausal women. Maturitas. 2004; 48(4): 421-4.
- Lobo R. Menopause and care of the mature woman. In: Lentz GM, Lobo RA, Gershenson DM, Katz VL, eds. Comprehensive Gynecology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA. Elsevier Mosby; 2012: chap 14.
- ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 141: management of menopausal symptoms. Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123(1): 202-16.
- Moyer VA; U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Vitamin D and calcium supplementation to prevent fractures in adults: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158(9): 691-6.
- Brunner RL, Aragaki A, Barnabei V, Cochrane BB, Gass M, Hendrix S, et al. Menopausal symptom experience before and after stopping estrogen therapy in the Women’s Health Initiative randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Menopause. 2010; 17(5): 946-54.
- Furness S, Roberts H, Marjoribanks J, Lethaby A, Hickey M, Farquhar C. Hormone therapyin postmenopausal women and risk of endometrial hyperplasia. Cochrane Database SystRev 2009; 2: CD000402
- MacLennan AH, Lester S, Moore V. Oral oestrogen and combined oestrogen/progestogentherapy versus placebo for hot flushes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004; 4: CD002978.
- Kenemans P, Bundred NJ, Foidart JM, Kubista E, von Schoultz B, Sismondi P, et al. Safety and efficacy of tibolone in breast-cancer patients with vasomotor symptoms: a double-blind, randomised, non-inferiority trial. Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 135-46.