Rade R. Babić, Gordana Stanković-Babić, Strahinja Babić, Aleksandra Marjanović,
Nenad Govedarović, Nevena Babić
Med Word 2020; 1(3): 127–135
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a severe infectious disease of the respiratory system with clinical signs of severe acute respiratory syndrome. The causative agent is coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Common symptoms of COVID-19 pneumonia are fever, cough, shortness of breath, myalgia, expectoration of sputum and sore throat. The X-ray image of COVID-19 pneumonia has its own characteristics and changes with the evolution of the disease. At the beginning of the disease, the radiological finding in the lungs may be normal or changes may be visualized in the lungs in the form of multiple hazy vaguely delineated shadows, which occur gradually, discreetly and modestly, and in the later stage confluence into larger first irregular patch formations, then they grow into a massive irregular shadow of the intensity of the frosted glass, only to diffusely cover the whole lung. Inflammatory changes are usually bilateral, less often unilateral localization, predominantly in the middle or lower lung field, on the periphery along the chest wall and / or supraphrenic. The aim of this paper is to present an X-ray image of COVID-19 pneumonia and our experiences in the X-ray diagnosis of this disease. The material of the paper consists of selected digital radiographs of the lungs and heart and CT of the lungs with pneumonia COVID-19 in 220 patients, which are during the COVID-19 pandemic from April to July 2020. were examined in covidrendgen KC Niš. The results are presented illustratively.
Conclusion: The X-ray examination methods in the diagnosis of COVID-19 pneumonia are sovereign, dominant and unrivaled, and the knowledge of the authors and collaborators and the experience gained through many years of work in the profession and co-X-ray are of crucial importance.
Key words: COVID-19 pneumonia, radiological finding, MSCT, digital radiograph of the lungs and heart
- COVID-19 pandemija. [Internet]. 2020. [cited 2020 May 6] Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic
- COVID-19. [Internet]. 2020. [cited 2020 May 6] Available from: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: Novel_Coronavirus_SARS-CoV-2.jpg#/media/Датотека:Novel_Coronavirus_SARS-CoV-2.jpg
- Jin YH, Cai L, Cheng ZS, Cheng H, Deng T, Fan YP. A rapid advice guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) infected pneumonia (standard version). Mil Med Res 2020; 7: 4. doi: 10.1186/s40779-020-0233-6
- Liang T. Priručnik o prevenciji i lečenju COVID-19 infekcije. [Internet]. 2020. [cited 2020 May 6] Available from: https://medf.kg.ac.rs/oglasna_tabla/Handbook_of_COVID19_Prevention_and_Treatment_Srpski.pdf
- Mostafa El-Feky, Daniel J Bell. COVID-19. [Internet]. 2020. [cited 2020 May 6] Available from: https://radiopaedia.org/articles/covid-19-3
- Babić RR. Filmoteka COVID-19. 2020.
- Radiological Society of North America. CT provides best diagnosis for COVID-19. ScienceDaily [Internet]. 2020. [cited 2020 May 6] Available from: www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200226151951.htm
- Ministarstvo zdravlja Republike Srbije: Covid-19 protokol. 2020. www.covid19.rs
- Bell DJ, Knipe H. Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infection. [Internet]. 2020. [cited 2020 May 6] Available from: https://radiopaedia.org/articles/middle-east-respiratory-syndrome-coronavirus-mers-cov-infection?
- Weerakkdy Y et al. Severe acute respiratory syndrome. [Internet]. 2020. [cited 2020 May 6] Available from: https://radiopaedia.org/articles/severe-acute-respiratory-syndrome-1?
- Cellina M, Orsi M, Toluian T, Valenti Pittino C, Oliva G. False negative chest X-Rays in patients affected by COVID-19 pneumonia and corresponding chest CT findings. Radiography. [Internet]. 2020. [cited 2020 May 25] Available from: https://www.radiographyonline.com/article/S1078-8174(20)30069-9/pdf
- Tianyi X, Jiawei L, Jiao G, Xunhua X. Small Solitary Ground-Glass Nodule on CT as an Initial Manifestation of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pneumonia. Korean J Radiol 2020; 21(5): 545-9.
- Pereira RP, Bertolini D, Teixeira LO, Silla CS Jr, Costa YMG. COVID-19 Identification in Chest X-ray Images on Flat and Hierarchical Classification Scenarios. Comput Methods Programs Biomed 2020: 8; 194: 105532. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmpb.2020.105532
- Guan CS, Wei LG, Xie RM, Ly ZB, Yan S, Zhang ZX, Xhen BD. CT findings of COVID-19 in follow-up: comparison between progression and recovery. Diagn Interv Radiol 2020: 26(4): 301-7.
- Flowe L, Carter JPL, Lopez JR, Henry AM. Tension pneumothorax in a patient with COVID-19. BMJ Case Rep 2020; 13(5): e235861.
- Sun R, Liu H, Wang X. Mediastinal Emphysema, Giant Bulla, and Pneumothorax Developed during the Course of COVID-19 Pneumonia. Korean J Radiol 2020; 21(5): 541-4.
- Plesner LL, Dyrberg E, Hansen IV, Abild A, Andersen MB. Diagnostic Imaging Findings in COVID-19. Ugeskr Laeger 2020; 182(15): V03200191.
- Li B, Li X, Wang Y, Han Y, Wang Y, Wang C, et al. Diagnostic value and key features of computed tomography in Coronavirus Disease 2019. Emerg Microbes Infect 2020; 9(1): 787-93.
- Hu L, Wang C. Radiological Role in the Detection, Diagnosis and Monitoring for the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 2020; 24(8): 4523-8.
- Şule Akçay, Tevfik Özlü, Aydın Yılmaz: Radiological Approaches to COVID-19 Pneumonia. Turk J Med Sci 2020; 50(SI-1): 604-10. doi:10.3906/sag-2004-160.
- Feng H, Liu Y, Lv M, Zhong J. A Case Report of COVID-19 With False Negative RT-PCR Test: Necessity of Chest CT Jpn J Radiol 2020; 38(5): 409-10.
- Pan F, Ye T, Sun P, Gui S, Liang B, Li L, et al. Time Course of Lung Changes at Chest CT during Recovery from Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Radiology 2020; 295(3): 715-21.
- Kooraki S, Hosseiny M, Myers L, Gholamrezanezhad A. Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak: What the Department of Radiology Should Know. Am Coll Radiol 2020; 17(4): 447-51.
- Babić RR, Stanković-Babić G, Babić S, Marjanović A, Pavlović D, Babić N. Rendgenska slika upale pluća COVID-19. Apollinem medicum et Aesculapium 2020; 18(1): 11-3.
- Korona virus COVID-19. [Internet]. 2020. [cited 2020 Jul 9] Available from: https://covid19.rs
- Najmlađa zrtva – beba stara 30 sati. [Internet]. 2020. [cited 2020 Jul 9] Available from: https://www.bbc.com/serbian/
- Babić RR, Stanković-Babić G, Babić S, Marjanović A, Pavlović D, Babić N, Diferencijalna dijagnoza rendgenološke slike virusnih upala pluća. Apollinem medicum et Aesculapium 2020; 18(2): 11-3.