Health-educational work in the Dental Service at the time of the Covid-19 pandemic
Medical Word 2022; 3(1): 14–17
Irena Đ. Kukolj, Branka Antić
The first case of coronavirus infection was recorded in 2019 in the Chinese city of Wuhan.The virus is easily transmitted by droplets, which soon leads to a pandemic. The first case in our country was recorded in March 2020.
The aim of this paper is to describe the implementation of the preventive program (health-educational work) in the Dental Service of the Valjevo Health Center, in the newly created and so far unknown circumstances of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The health and educational work play a key role in prevention when it comes to the work of dentists with children of preschool, school, and high school age, as well as with pregnant women and mothers.
Through Powerpoint presentations, in pictures and words, dentists tried to pass on their knowledge about the importance of proper nutrition and oral and dental hygiene to preschool patients. Through platforms designed for online teaching, students of all grades of primary schools in urban and rural areas, as well as high school students, are provided with all the important information related to the preservation and improvement of oral health. Through the School of Parenthood, and in cooperation with the Patronage Service of the Valjevo Health Center, educational work with pregnant women and mothers-in-law was conducted. The Week of Oral and Dental Health was marked by the guest appearance of the head of the service on local television, on the show “Serbia Today” and on the “Morning Program” of the Radio Television of Serbia.
Thanks to the exceptional cooperation of the Dental Service with the management of the Valjevo Health Center, the Patronage Service, and their cooperation with the preschool, primary and secondary schools, the planned preventive program for 2020 was implemented. The program was supported by school principals, teaching organizers, and educators from the preschool institution, who highly rated our work.
A comprehensive approach to the control of dental disease in children and adolescents is extremely important for laying a solid foundation for good oral health. Even in the conditions of the Cоvid-19 pandemic, it is necessary to carry out health-educational work whose development is to develop healthy living habits and preserve oral health.
Key words: health education, SARS-CoV-19 virus, pandemic, dental protocols
- Vulović M, Beloica D, Gajić M, Stevanović R, Ivanović M, Carević M, et al. Preventivna stomatologija (drugo izmenjeno i dopunjeno izdanje). Beograd: Stomatološki fakultet; 2005.
- Gajić M, Tušek I, Lalić M, Tušek J. Preventivna stomatologija. Pančevo: Stomatološki fakultet; 2014: 153-97.
- Jurić H. Dječja dentalna medicina. Zagreb: Naklada Slap; 2015: 301-30.
- Račić D, Milosavljević Ž. Uticaj loših navika na razvoj orofacijalnih nepravilnosti (Diplomski rad). SMILE-Repozitorijum Stomatološkog fakulteta Univerziteta u Beogradu, 2016.
- Protokol za pružanje stomatološkog lečenja tokom epidemije Covid-19; dostupno na fdiworlddental.org.
- Janković Lj, Stamenković D, Ivanović V, Sedlecki-Gvozdenović-S, Kolak Ž, Dimitrijević B, et al. Preventivna stomatologija u odraslih. Beograd: Draganić Beograd; 1998.